To torture a student, the player must first go through the process of kidnapping them and bringing them into their basement. They will be tied to a chair and not able to move; they can only look at the main character and speak. When Yandere-chan walks up to the student and presses E on the keyboard (or A on the player's controller), the player will be taken to a torture screen. The player is able to choose how long Yandere-chan will torture them. The victim's sanity is displayed at the top of the screen. Different lengths of torture will reduce her sanity by different increments. Once the player selects the duration, Yandere-chan will loom over her victim as she screams in terror.
In older builds, the player could torture the student as soon as they were kidnapped, but after the December 1st, 2015 Build, Yandere-chan goes straight to sleep after she sneaks the victim home.
Torture Option 1
This option is only available in the morning. This option allows Yandere-chan to torture the victim for one hour and decrease the victim's sanity by 2.5%. She will arrive at school one hour late.
Torture Option 2
This option is only available at night. This option allows Yandere-chan to torture the victim for four hours and decrease the victim's sanity by 10%. After she finishes torturing her prisoner, she will immediately go to sleep until the next day.
Torture Option 3
This option is only available in the morning. This option allows Yandere-chan to torture the victim for twelve hours and decrease the victim's sanity by 30%. She will skip the school day entirely, and will stop when nighttime arrives. This is for when the player wants to torture someone, but still wants to do nighttime activities like play video games, read manga, or gossip on the Internet. Her reputation will decrease by twenty points the next day. The player cannot torture a student for twelve hours on Friday.
Torture Option 4
This option is only available in the morning. This option allows Yandere-chan to torture the victim for eighteen hours and reduce the victim's sanity by 45%. She will skip the school day entirely, and nighttime activities as well. Yandere-chan will go to sleep immediately when the torture stops. Her reputation will decrease by twenty points the next day. The player cannot torture a student for eighteen hours on Friday.
Bring to School
This option will only appear when the student has 0% sanity. She will obey Yandere-chan's every command and will remain motionless sitting behind a bush to the side of the school gate, muttering mindlessly until Yandere-chan gives her a weapon. She will then slowly stand up and clumsily walk to the current rival, push her onto the ground and stab her multiple times, killing her. After that, the mind-slave will stab herself in the neck. She will then fall on her knees and collapse in a pool of blood. At this point, Yandere-chan's rival and victim have been eliminated, without needing to dispose of a murder weapon or get a single drop of blood on her. When the police come, they will note that it is a murder-suicide, but will be unable to take any further action.
As of the March 5th, 2016 Build, the player cannot give a slave any large, non-concealable weapons, such as a katana.
As of the July 24th, 2016 Build, a mind-slave is spawned next to the school gate, behind a bush when they are brought to school, to explain why nobody notices the mind-slave when they enter the school gates.
In the future, teachers will have different dialogue if they see a murder-suicide. The player cannot bring a mind-broken slave to school unless there is a valid rival present as well, but that isn't implemented yet either. Students will stare at the mind-slave and wonder, but will not take any action.
If the mind-slave is the current rival, or the rival dies before the slave can reach her, she will commit suicide.
|“||Why are you doing this? What did I ever do to you? / How long are you going keep me here? Forever? / What are you going to do? Are you going to kill me? / How could you do this to someone? / Could you at least put a TV in here? It's so boring...||”|
— A student with full Sanity
|“||No...not you again...! / Stay away! Get away from me! / Just kill me already...get it over with.. / I hate you! I'll never forgive you for this! / If you let me go, I won't tell the police...I swear...||”|
— A student with 90-50% Sanity
|“||No...not again... / ...stay away...get away... / ..just... kill me.. / ...I hate you... / ...let me go...please...||”|
— A student with 45-1% Sanity
|“||I'll do anything. / I'll do whatever you say. / I'll obey any command. / Let me out of this chair. / I want it to end.||”|
— A student with 0 Sanity
|“||I'm useless. / I'm worthless. / I'm nothing. / Nothing matters. / I should die.||”|
— A mind-broken student at school.
— After giving a weapon to a mind-broken student at school.
After each torture session, the student's sanity will decrease. The lower it is, the more she will twitch and mutter. In the beginnings of the torture, she will fight for her life, but when her sanity is lower, she will begin to accept her fate.
When she has no sanity, the victim's eyes become a dull grey, and she stops twitching and watching Yandere-chan. Yandere-chan can then bring her to school and ask her to kill her rival, or keep the victim locked up in her basement. She will mutter to herself on loop when brought to school.
It may be possible that torturing one student might lower another kidnapped person's sanity.
- Killing the brainwashed person in Cirno Mode just makes the place where she spawns have the usual subtitles of what she would say if she was still alive. Dragging the body somewhere else makes the audio only be around the corpse.
- A kidnapped student is still able to comment on the Internet.
- If a slave kills Kokona and then herself in front of the delinquents, they will think the player did it and chase after her.
- A tortured student's suicide is always instantaneous.
- There may be another way to brainwash a student into becoming Yandere-chan's slave, but it has not been revealed yet.
- It may be possible that later on in torturing a student, their hair will turn white. This is a condition known as Marie Antoinette Syndrome; when under extreme stress or torture, a victim's hair will go white.
- Mentally broken students have superhuman strength because they have no concern for their own safety, and don't care about consequences. The player can use this to their advantage to kill a teacher in the full game.
- Torture was implemented on October 17th, 2015.
- In future builds, people will think Yandere-chan is a delinquent if she starts to skip school too much because of torturing, and her reputation will decrease. Senpai cannot love a delinquent; thus, skipping school too much will cause a game over.
- Test rival Kokona Haruka is the only student that can be murdered by a mind-slave at the moment.
- What type of torture happens to a student is best left to the player's imagination, unless animations are created. At one point, YandereDev jokingly stated that the torture scenes would be interactive like the "interrogation" scenes in Bullet Girl 2.
- It takes exactly 40 hours to mentally break a student.
- If the player presses K while in the debug menu, Saki Miyu will become brainwashed without having to kidnap and torture her.
- The voice actress here is different from the one at the rooftop event between Kokona Haruka and Saki Miyu.
- A brainwashed slave will not react to a camera pointing at them.
- In the July 24th, 2016 Build, the murder-suicide animation was improved.
- When a mind-slave commits suicide, the blood that sprays out of their neck can cover Yandere-chan.
- Curiously, if Senpai witnesses the murder-suicide, then sees Yandere-chan bloody, he will blame the murder on her.